We are looking for a Virginia Tech undergraduate student to be our social media and marketing intern for the 2017-2018 academic year. Please send a resume, cover letter, and references to email@example.com by September 8th, 2017.
Social Media Internship Description
About Campus is an academic magazine published six times is considered the premier national/international publication addressing the topic of student learning. The home of About Campus transitioned to Virginia Tech in 2013, the campus of Executive Editor, Frank Shushok, Jr. who serves as Associate Vice President for Student Affairs and a faculty member in the graduate program in higher education administration. Frank serves as the fifth executive editor of About Campus following in the footsteps of Charles Schroeder, Patricia King, Marcia Baxter-Magolda, and Jean Henscheid. About Campus is published in partnership with ACPA—College Student Educators International and Jossey-Bass/Wiley Publishers and has a broad base readership that includes faculty across the disciplines, administrators and those working in higher education policy.
About Campus articles use an engaging format intended to reach a broad audience. Of particular importance is our motto that “learning is everybody’s business”; in other words, manuscripts are most useful when they are written to appeal to all members of our readership. Our editorial process is collaborative—we prefer to work with authors at the conceptual stage to identify direction and focus as well as throughout the writing process through multiple revisions.
This internship seeks to bolster the capacity of the Editorial Team by assisting in administrative tasks, contributing once a month to Editorial Team meetings, and helping to improve the online presence of this ACPA publication.
- Monitoring and building online media presence (80% )
- Work with editorial assistants to create and maintain website content for aboutcampus.myacpa.org
- Help maintain and update social media presence on Twitter and Facebook pages
- Create content and manage posting progress on shared Google sheet
- Schedule posts on Hootsuite or Facebook
- Brainstorm and execute post timing to achieve maximum reach and exposure
- Assist with continuous updating of website information for audience (i.e. authors and potential authors)
- Collaboratively brainstorm ways to integrate past (and upcoming) editorial issues into content for future posts methods to involve the editorial team and board of contributors online layout and formatting for quarterly emails sent through ACPA future blog posts advertising the About Campus Writers Retreat, our participation at ACPA and miscellaneous involvements across higher education
- Editorial Team duties (20%)
- Brainstorm ideas to include in transitionary document for next Editorial team
- Prepare monthly analytics and social media marketing report
- Present report to Editorial Team (10-20 minute presentation)
- Completed by the third Friday of each month
- Other duties as assigned by the Senior Associate Vice President for Student Affairs
The selected individual should have an intense commitment to social media and marketing, a strong writing background, and basic understanding of editing and revision processes. An interest new media and video/photography is highly recommended. Strong administrative skills are sought along with willingness to work independently and in a dynamic team environment. Must be available for weekly marketing team meetings on Mondays from 9:30 am-11:00 am and for occasional Editorial Team meetings (Fridays from 8 am-12 pm) throughout the 2017-2018 Fall and Spring semesters. This is a one-year, paid internship appointment.
For best consideration, submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information for three references who can speak to your temperament, skills, background, and qualifications electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org before September 8th, 2017. Review of applications will begin on September 11th and continue until the position is filled.